Twenty20 is a new format of cricket which has been introduced recently. This format of cricket was playing between England and Wales. In this format of cricket, the two teams have to play 20 overs each in their turn. One team bats first and the other team fields. This match consists of overall 40 overs which have to play in 200 minutes bisecting 100 minutes for each team.
The batting side tries to score more and more runs and the fielding side tries its best to contain the batting side and strict it to less possible score. And in the u=turn of second team, it tries to chase the targeted score and if it succeeded in achieving the targeted score then it is declared the winner of the match otherwise the opponent team who defenses their score successfully is declared winner.
The type of cricket got so much popularity that it spread to other countries of the world and they started their twenty20 in their own countries. Then national teams of various test cricket nation started twenty20 series among their teams with each other. All test playing nations have organized twenty20 cricket in their own countries and now they are organizing twenty20 cups by the inclusion of various international players in their domestic teams. So this format of cricket got so much popularity.
ICC organized ICC World twenty20 which was played among about 10 countries of the world in South Africa during 2007. During the first Twenmty20 World cup India beat Pakistan and won the first ICC World Twenty20. During the second ICC World CUP Twenty20 Pakistan won the tournament by defeating Sri Lanka. That tournament was played in England in 2009 and in third ICC World twenty20 England defeated Australia and won the tournament which was played in West Indies in 2010.
This format of cricket is played on the lines of One Day International but in this format the overs limit has been decreased from 50 to 20 and this match has to be completed in 200 minutes. Each team has to bat not more than 100 minutes. In this match the team players have to stay at the corner of the rope just like players of hockey, football and baseball.
The general laws and rules of cricket apply to Twenty20 with some modifications:
- Each bowler has to bowl maximum of one-fifth of the total overs in an inning. If the match is continued without any break then the bowler has to bowl 4 overs.
- If the bowler crosses the bowling crease while bowling to the batsman then that ball is declared no ball and the very next ball is declared free ball on which batsman can hit freely without any danger of being bowled or caught or given LBW out except run out, handled the ball, interrupting the field or hitting the ball two times consecutively.
Some of the fielding restrictions are also applied:
- Any team is not allowed to take more than five fielders on the leg side at any time during the match.
- Maximum two fielders can be taken outside the 30-yard circle during first six overs.
- After the first six overs, a maximum of five fielders can be outside the fielding circle.
- The bowling side has to start 20th over within 75 minutes and if they cannot do so they have to face the plenty of 6 runs in every remaining overs which may be included in the scores of batting side. But if umpire deemed it necessary that the batting side has wasted some time then he cannot give the plenty to the fielding side.
Main article: Super Over
If scores of both teams are level in a match and it is essential to declare the winner of the match then there is another mini match of one over is played in which three batsmen and one bowler is nominated. The team which scored highest run is declared the winner of the match. But if two batsmen are dismissed before the end of the over then opposite team is declared winner. In previous matches the team who bowled more and more out then that was declared winner.
T20 cricket is now very popular to watch online at the internet. Many websites covers Twenty Twenty matches live. So you can watch T20 live matches online at many websites.